Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 
The Grade 10 English class recently read Ray Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451. Here are Sat Shabd Singh's thoughts on the ideas of the dystopia created by Ray Bradbury, which bans book reading and burns books. To Sat Shabd, the urge to read books is an itch that must be scratched.

The Human Itch

If the main Fahrenheit 451 society ideology was implemented in our lives the spread of different ideas would be almost completely destroyed. It would significantly slow down the progress of our intelligence. Books give me ideas; they make me feel different and unique. Books let me get lost into a new world away from my troubles and they allow me to be me. I need them late at night and in math class and when I’m sad or when I need to re-look the world in the eyes. I want to feel the characters and ideas, plot, problems, setting year, solutions all swirling around in my head.

I strongly believe that any and everyone who wants the feeling should have this feeling, should be free to take any means necessary to obtain it (besides causing harm of course). It is vitally important to the progress of mankind for every single human to have different ideas otherwise single sight would make us blind.

I believe in the Itch. Sometimes I get that Itch, that one for a new idea, a new book, something to explore, some thing to … read. If I or any other human can’t scratch that itch I believe it will fester and become negatively infected and come out in some form, such as book burning. It’s important to scratch that itch so that you can never be satisfied with just one idea. So you will be open minded and ready to listen to the new ideas so that you can be satisfied with knowing you know more than you know, what is believed you know.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?